Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Goods from Goulet

So here I am, finally getting around to posting about my new Lamy setup that I ordered from Goulet Pens . It is nice.

From Baystate


The Lamy Safari that I ordered last year came with a medium point which I do like, but I tend to lean more towards finer points. I decided to go with an extra fine nib because it is said that Lamy nibs run a little bigger than normal. I agree.

From Baystate


Nib replacement was a snap: I simply gripped the ball of my medium nib with my nail and gently pulled it off. Next I gently slid my extra fine nib on, installed and loaded the converter (which I failed to photograph, but it is there) and away I went.

From Baystate


I chose the 4.5 oz. bottle of Baystate Blue because I love the color and because I actually got three free pens. A brush pen, a rollerball pen and a fountain pen. I have really been wanting to get the Noodler's Nib Creaper Rollerball and decided that this order would be a good way to test out the rollerball without ordering the pen.

From Baystate


As you can see, the Platinum pen has a friction fit rollerball nib and a fountain pen nib. You simply pull them on and off. So far I have only used the rollerball because it works so well.

From Baystate


From Baystate

I've used this rollerball on notebooks, stickies and even a three sheet form. No issues. The ink is a beautiful, bright blue and will last me forever. My EF nib is a dream to write with and definitely writes larger than my Pilot EF, but creates just about the perfect line size. So far I am extremely pleased. Of course, Brian and Rachel did a wonderful job with the order. I actually went in on an order with a friend of mine who ordered an All-Star and he was very impressed. Oh yeah, there was also a hand-written note from Brian. I hope to order from them again soon. Take care everyone! Nr

6 comments:

Peninkcillin said...

Gratz on the BSB! I'm still wrestling with the idea of getting a bottle. I like vibrant colors but such a large bottle would last me for the rest of my life.

Nrepose said...

Thanks! That's the idea and that's why I want the rollerball. I know it's a crazy idea, but imagine not ever having to buy another pen. Probably not going to happen for me but the option is there. Nr

Greg said...

Maybe you already know that, but just in case: there are also some other tips available out there, those I already came across: Higlighter, Marker, and Brush (not sure it's supposed to be used with the preppy, but still, it works).
What do you think about staining? The BS blue is a nice color, but that's pretty much it! It stains every plastics and paint(I kind of lost it when I saw my Waterman Charleston Ivory covered in blue fingerprints!), if you have some on your fingers you'll leave flashy blue prints everywhere (left one on my bathroom door!). Also, it dries rubber like hell, and tends to clog feeds along time (I've used it on and of for about a year, in different pens including a Waterman Phileas, a Noodler's piston fill, a Preppy05, a brush pen and some Chinese cheap Bülow X450, no real good results so far).
Plus it easily feathers and bleeds through...
Now, I kind of abandoned the idea of using this ink... ever.
Overall, I've really been disappointed, and I have this almost full 4.5oz bottle gathering dust here...
Anyway, if you experience the same issues, just know you can relatively easily remove it with bleach.

Nrepose said...

Greg,
Thanks for the info. I guess that only time will tell if I have similar problems, but I have heard of these before. I can say that when I filled my charcoal Safari into the bottle to fill with the converter that I noticed discoloration, but that seems to have disappeared. I know that there is a YouTube video where Nathan talks about the issues that people are having. As you said, it can be cleaned with clorox and water. Noodler's makes some very interesting inks, some not without controversy, so I am willing to take some risks. Thanks for the comment and advice. Nr

Brian Goulet said...

Thanks so much for the link! I appreciate your posting about me :) That BSB in the rollerball works really nicely. The color is very vibrant, and since the rollerball tends to run a pretty fine line, its vibrancy is perfect for it. 4.5 ounces is a LOT of ink, that's true! But this is one color that you can really use a lot.

Nrepose said...

Brian,
I agree whole-heartedly. The ink just POPS off the paper. I love it and don't regret getting a huge bottle one bit. Thanks for all that you do for the community! Nr