Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kaweco Sport - One Was Not Enough

A few weeks ago I was browsing around the web and found an amazing deal on some green Kaweco Sport fountain pens from Swisher Pens. Chuck had several green ones for sale at five dollars a piece and I just couldn't resist ordering one. The Kaweco Sport is one pen that I have been wanting to try for a while. I ordered one and within a few days I was writing with my new pen. Several days later, I showed it to a buddy of mine and he loved it. He ordered 10 of them. I want to thank Chuck for working with us on the order and doing some outstanding customer service. I have to admit, one of the ten was another one for me, plus a converter.

From Kaweco

Kaweco is a German company that makes several different types of pens including ballpoints, pencils and roller balls. I guess that you could consider their style a pocket-pen. Mine has been in my pants pocket for about two weeks and I have had no problems. A very solid pen.

From Kaweco
From Kaweco

In the green pen I am using the blue cartridge that came with the pen. In the red one, I have a converter with J.Herbin Lierre Sauvage.

From Kaweco

From Kaweco

Both of these pens are medium points but they do write differently. The green pen seems to have more of a fine point. The writing is smooth with both. My friend and I ordered some pocket clips for the pens and they complete the package.

From Kaweco
From Kaweco
From Kaweco

As I said, these are solid pens and a nice size for EDC (EveryDay Carry). You can throw them in your bag or your pocket and expect no issues. They are classy looking and designed well. I love the silver emblem on the cap.

From Kaweco

I am happy to have these two Kaweco pens in my collection and want to again thank Chuck for a wonderful job. I really like these pens and may have to get a clear one soon. Nr

13 comments:

carpedavid said...

You mention that "Both of these pens are medium points but they do write differently. The green pen seems to have more of a fine point."

It's quite possible that the difference is due to the different inks. J. Herbin inks tend to be a bit wet and often produce thicker lines than other inks when used with the same nib.

It could also be the nibs themselves, of course, but that was the first thought that came to mind.

Note Booker, Esq. said...

I'll second Carpedavid's thought. The J. Herbin inks I have tried thus far are indeed very wet and produce a thicker line than others. I tend to ink only my drier writers with them.

The possibility that nibs of the same size differ so much seems remote. We are, after all, talking about German pens, right? The Germans' reputation for precision is well earned. When I was there in the 80s, you really could set your watch by the train arrivals. But I suppose everyone can screw up a little every now and then!

Note Booker, Esq. said...

Alas, the deal appears gone . . . or do you have a link were that price is still available?

Anonymous said...

Of course the deal is gone. His friend bought 10 of them. Probably gonna resell them.

Nrepose said...

CarpeDavid and Note Booker, Esq:
I have to agree that with the points that you both made. The ink was my first thought and German engineering did come to mind. After looking at the nibs, however, I can see that there are differences and i believe this to be the issue. I have no problem with either pen, but the nibs are not the same.
I should have mentioned in my post that the deal was most likely gone, I apologize. Chuck actually went through his personal collection to get ten together for my friend and I.

Anonymous,
I do believe that we got all that Chuck had, but there are no plans on reselling. My buddy had just bought eight bottles of ink and wanted a pen for each. He's like that.

Nr

Julie (PW) said...

Nice posting about Kaweco pens! I had a wonderful vintage (1940's) version that was a piston filler. I regret not picking up one of Chuck's specials. Ah well... :)

Daisy said...

That's so hilarious about your friend who likes to have a different pen for each bottle of ink. And guys are always complaining that women are funny for wanting a different pair of shoes for each outfit. I guess we all have our foibles.

Daisy McCarty
San Diego Office Furniture

Nrepose said...

Julie - I have seen some of the vintage versions and they seem very promising for any collection. I'm very happy that I found Chuck's special. Thanks for the comment!

Daisy - I have to admit, I was a bit surprised when he said that he wanted 10 of them. At least now I know where to go if I need another one.

Nr

Gentian said...

Wish I had known about this! Wow $5! I have a Kaweco Sport Ice in Fine and I love it. It's a great little pen. Enjoy yours! :D I'm guessing the difference in thickness is because of the ink. I read others have had trouble with the ink cartridge supplied with the Kaweco pen but once swapped out for another ink it worked perfectly.

Nrepose said...

Gentian,
I would love to have one of these with a fine nib. I'm still not sure about the ink flow because I haven't had time to test out any other inks. The pens have written great but just have different flows. I'll try some Herbin ink in both of them and see what happens. Great to hear from you! Nr

write to me often said...

These are quite nice color of Kaweco's. I have never seen them before.

By the way, great blog. Adding it to my blog list.

Cheers

Lee said...

Hi, I am looking for a converter for this Kaweco classic sport pen. May I ask which brand of converter you are using in the red one? Thank you!!!

Nrepose said...

Lee,
It is a Monte Verde Cartridge.
Here is a link.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Mini_Ink_Cartridge_Converter_p/mv31072.htm

Nr