|From Smithsonian Postal|
WHAT: Pens & the Post: Collect, Correspond, Celebrate!
WHEN: Saturday, May 29
11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Smithsonian National Postal Museum
2 Massachusetts Ave. NE Washington DC
The National Postal Museum, along with the Pen Collectors of America and Fahrney’s Pens, are hosting “Pens & the Post: Collect, Correspond, Celebrate!” Pens, postage and mail have long gone hand in hand. Explore the shared history of pens and mail with the whole family.
The following activities taking place throughout the day:
• Make a creative card to send to a friend with young designer Sophia Breuer
• Watch an expert calligraphy demonstration by expert calligrapher Deborah Basel
• Take a fancy fountain pen for a spin at the “Pen Petting Zoo” provided by Fahrney’s Pens
• Sample a rainbow of ink colors with John Bosley, author of Vintage Inks
• Try out beautiful papers from plain to posh with handwriting specialist Nan Barchowsky
• Just in time for Memorial Day, pen a letter to U.S. military members and learn about World War II-era correspondence.
• Meet the Pen Collectors of America and find out more about the pen collecting community
• See a pen set belonging to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and beautiful stamps featuring pens and handwriting in a scavenger hunt
Short workshops provide the opportunity to learn from the experts and try new skills:
• 11:30 a.m. – Pens for Kids Workshop presented by the Pen Collectors of America
• 12:30 p.m. – Cursive for Kids Workshop presented by Fahrney’s Pens
• 1:30 p.m. – Pens for Kids Workshop presented by the Pen Collectors of America
• 2:30 p.m. – The Glory of Pen Collecting presented by the Pen Collectors of America
If you happen to be in Washington this weekend please stop by and tell them that Nrepose sent you:) Nr