Friday, March 27, 2009

Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia Ink

I have been excited about this review all week, and I hope that it creates some excitement among other ink lovers. I took almost forty pictures, which you can see here , just to get the few that I have posted. I am hoping that everyone will enjoy learning about this ink.

From Nakahama Whalemans


This ink is a jetpens exclusive from Noodler's and you can read more about it on the product page . On the left side of the ink bottle is a picture of Manjiro Nakahama. If you are interested in knowing more about him all you need to do is search Google. The gentleman on the right side of the bottle is Captain William H. Whitfield.

From Nakahama Whalemans


When I purchased this ink I expected it to be more red because the pictures at jetpens make it look that way. However, the ink is actually more of a brownish purple which make sense now that I have read a little history about sepia ink. I always think of sepia as a color. Actually, it is a type of fish or the ink from that fish. Whalemen used the ink from squid and cuttlefish to make writing ink.

From Nakahama Whalemans


From Nakahama Whalemans



If you have done any saltwater fishing and have used squid as bait you are familiar with the color of squid ink. I believe that this ink is a close match to that color.
For this ink I decided to take direction from my pal Seth over at Goodpens and I refilled a Varsity that I had. Very simple and I love being able to see the ink color through the barrel.

From Nakahama Whalemans


From Nakahama Whalemans


This ink is not nearly as wet as some of the other Noodler's ink that I have tried and dries fairly quick. I haven't noticed any feathering either. The color is not bold. Some might see it as washed out but, for me, the history behind the ink is wonderful. I hope to do a bleach test soon. When an application of bleach is applied to the dry ink it turns red. Apply another application and it turns purple. Since it is an exclusive ink, it is a little pricier than a normal bottle of Noodler's. $18.50 to be exact. I recommend this ink if you collect exclusive inks or if you are looking for an ink with character. I really love it and I am glad to share it with you.
No whales or squids were harmed in the making of this post. Nr

7 comments:

John Johnston said...

A very interesting review! I had no idea that Sepia was a type of fish. It never dawned on me that squid ink was suitable for writing, either. Nice pics, too.

Gentian said...

That's a cool ink. It makes me want to get some to make drawings of the sepia genus of cuttlefish. As a colour, I think sepia is one of my favorites. :) I haven't tried any Noodler's ink before. They seem nice though. Thanks for the review!

Nrepose said...

John - I was in the same boat ;) That's one reason I found this ink to be so interesting.

Gentian - I have been happy with the Noodler's ink that I have. They have many different variations.I think that your drawing idea is great and I would give it a try if I could draw.

Glad you guys liked the review!
Nr

Anthony said...

NR...how did you go about using this ink in your Varsity or any other pen not service by a plunger or converter?
Let me know. I got this ink and I have styli that I can dip in and use, but I would like to fill an existing pen...blah, blah, blah....anyway, let me know that.

Anthony

Nrepose said...

Anthony,
I just used a syringe, without a needle, and filled the barrel. I gave the pen a few good shakes and away I went. Let me know if you have any more questions. Nr

Dave M said...

How'd you get the graphics off of the outside of your Varsity? The ink window that's provided on the US version of the pen is tiny. Thanks!

Nrepose said...

Dave,
I use a strong cleaner called Riteoff. I have had it for a long time and I am not sure where you can get it. Any type of cleaner that removes paint should work and I would think that even nail polish would do the trick. Nr